OU Module 2 - A105: Voices, Texts and Material Culture

Objects have lives... who knew?!

If my first module was scary, my second was pure terror! I signed up to A105 Voices, Texts and Material Culture and began in October 2016. This is similar to AA100, but more in depth - and with the added terror of an exam at the end of the module. 

A105 came with 4 textbooks, but this time around I had to print out all of the assignment booklets and other materials (boo!). There were six TMAs and one exam this time around, so be sure to take plenty of notes and have your highlighters handy for each chapter!

TMA 01: Egyptian Chess Piece
Part A - Using no more than 250 words, write a description of the object depicted in the two photographs.
Part B - Write a short 'biography' of this object, addressing how its function, status and meaning may have changed over time. You should use no more than 750 words.

TMA 02: Reflection and Art History
(I was on holiday during the group word for this assignment, so was given an alternative.)
Part A - Using the APT 02 substitute forum, write a reflective commentary in which you analyse three or four elements. Your commentary should be up to 500 words long and written in continuous prose.
Part B - Look at the painting Equestrian Portrait of Charles I by Anthony van Dyck. Using the list of questions that you worked through in chapter 3, section 3.2, write up 500 words analysing Equestrian Portrait of Charles I. Then write up to 500 words discussing ways in which the painting can be related to the theme of 'authority' in Book 2.

TMA 03: Protestation Reformation
"I did nothing; the Word did everything." Martin Luther, 1522.
In what way does this reflect the theme of authority in the history of the Protestant Reformation?

TMA 04: Creative Writing 
Part A - You are asked to write a creative piece, the length of which will depend on the genre you choose.
Part B - Write a commentary on the process you went through in creating your section of a short story, play extract or poem.

TMA 05: Conflict and Wiki
Part A - Work within your team to choose four texts and form your argument in the group's chosen form. 
Part B - Self-evaluation, including rating how well you worked cooperatively with others.
Part C - If your group had been able to include five texts in their analysis, which would have been your own choice for fifth extract? Explain what you think this additional text could add to your exploration of the theme of 'conflict'. How might including this text have changed the overall argument your group produced in Part 1?

TMA 06: Art History
Part A - How do museums make use of 'authentic' objects and storytelling techniques in order to memorialise the Shoah?
Part B - Write up to 300 words reflecting on ways in which working on A105's assignment preparation tasks (APTs) had contributed to your learning across the modules.


The end of module exam is split in to three areas - voices, texts and material culture. In the lead up to the exam we received advanced notification of the exam topics. From each area I had to choose one question; although the advanced notice didn't give the question, it did give an idea of the topic which helped a LOT with revision.

It had been 13 years since I last sat an exam, so this advanced notice was a life saver. I chose my three 'first choice' topics and three 'back ups' so that if I got in to the exam and my first choice was a red herring, I had another choice. I began by going back through the chapters and making notes of the key themes and phrases, with examples to use. Then I condensed these notes down on to 'mind maps' and index cards. My living room looked like a school, with six A3 posters on the walls with the mind maps and notes listed - I carried the index cards with me everywhere I went, and my partner tested me frequently.

I went in to the exam nervous, but prepared. When I turned the exam paper over, the questions were difficult but not impossible. Two hours and twenty minutes later, I packed up my things and quietly left the exam room feeling that I'd done my best.

The exam is 3 hours and you should plan your time and use the SEP (specimen exam paper) to time yourself. I took around 35-40 minutes to answer each question, (between 3 and 4 pages of writing) plus time to reread and amend my answers. I'm not a fast writer, and had to take breaks to rest my hand - in your preparation, make sure you practice writing if you aren't used to writing by hand!

The good news? I passed! I averaged 81 over the TMAs and exam; so over-preparing does work!

Laura xx

Comments

  1. Thanks--same boat as you, almost done with A363 and only have E304 left.
    Do you happen to have the names to the textbooks for A100 and A105. I skipped the first year thanks to prior credit from California.

    Cheers. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

OU Module One - AA100: The Arts Past and Present

Introduction!